As Firm Counsel, Rick provides legal guidance on statutory and regulatory matters affecting the firm’s operations and assists in negotiating, drafting, reviewing and revising the firm’s contracts. He provides counsel to all levels of management on legal matters involving the firm.
Drawing on his extensive experience in bankruptcy law, Rick supervises the resolution of claims of bankruptcy claimants in the Deepwater Horizon Economic and Property Damages Settlement Program and provides consultation on bankruptcy issues for other programs.
Rick joined BrownGreer after many years practicing with law firms in Ohio and Michigan where he counseled business and financial clients in commercial and bankruptcy law matters. Much of Rick’s practice involved negotiating business workouts and litigating bankruptcy and commercial disputes; he has represented financial institutions, manufacturers, and other creditors dealing with financially distressed debtors in a range of industries including the automotive, general manufacturing, construction, service and retail sectors.
He is a past trustee of the Canton (Ohio) Regional Chamber of Commerce, the Canton Cultural Center for the Arts and past president of The Players Guild Theater of Canton. He is a graduate of Leadership Stark County, Ohio.
Education & Honors
- Ohio State University College of Law, Columbus, OH, J.D., 1976
- Allegheny College, Meadville, PA, B.A., 1973
- Best Lawyers in America for Bankruptcy and Debtor/Creditor Law and as an Ohio Super Lawyer - Bankruptcy and Workout
- AV Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Banking, Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Committee, Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio, 1976
- United States Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, 1980
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1977
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2009